Same blog new location come check it out! www.lifelovegreen.com

Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The Lords Prayer

So I was praying this morning and decided to go through the Lords prayer and pray 'the way we were taught'. While I was doing that I realized that I was doing something wrong so here it goes:

Matt 6:7-12
7"And when you pray, do not heap up empty phrases as the Gentiles do, for they think that they will be heard for their many words. 8Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him. 9 Pray then like this: "Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. 10 Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.11 Give us this day our daily bread, 12and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.13And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

English Standard Version from Bible Gateway.com

So where did I go wrong?

Three places, first of all in verse 11 it says "Give us this day our daily bread," wow do I fail here. I pray and desire for so much more than just my 'daily bread.' I don't think this is evil or bad per say but it does make me wonder why I can't just be happy with what I've got when I have so much?
Second, look at this paragraph nowhere in it does it ask for my wants or my desires it says "Your kingdom come, your will be done." Who am I to believe that my desires and dreams are better than God's ?
Lastly, how often when we pray do we remember to thank God in our prayers for all of the blessings? I don't nearly enough, I'm always asking for things.


So what do I take from this?

First of all I need to work on being happy with what I have. This doesn't mean I can't buy new things or anything crazy. But it does mean that I need to take time and inventory all of the blessings I do have and not take them for granted. To do this I'm going to do something that I've tried before and never been successful at. I'm going to not buy anything new and un-necessary to sustaining life (meaning I can buy food and such) till after Christmas. Note, I can buy things to do (movies and activities) so that I don't become a couch potato. But I want to live for a month without anything 'new' to try to drill in the fact that what I have is enough and is a blessing.
Second when I pray I'm simply going to pray for Gods will for whatever the situation is. I don't want to pray for my will to be done because my will may be wrong.
Third I'm going to work on praising God for all of the good things in my life (this goes with number one.)

Well this should be interesting, I don't know if I really convayed my thoughts clearly here but I tried, hope it makes sense.

In HIS Grip,
Amber

No comments: