Same blog new location come check it out! www.lifelovegreen.com

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

God or TV?

First let me start this by saying I do not think TV is evil (that can be a debate for another time.) I have my list of shows that I watch every week. However I do think it can be a distraction from things that are truly important. I was challenged this weekend by a Sermon I heard, and the application for my life came down to this: God first TV (music, books, etc) second. I tend to wake up grab my laptop and turn on a TV show or music. Well starting next week Tuesday (I will be traveling until then and everything will be crazy) I'm going to change that. I don't get to do anything 'secular' until I've done something with God (Pray, Praise, time in the Word, etc.)

The basis for this decision is actually quite simple, like I said above it is from a sermon I heard this weekend. The pastor did a pretty common subject 'Are we focused on God or the world.' However the way he presented it just seemed to impact me more. One of the things he said really hit me and to be honest I feel silly admitting it. He said " People have and influence over you-the more time you spend with Christ the more you will be like Him." Well duh, that is something we have all heard since elementary school ' pick your friends carefully' As an adult I thought I was above all of that. I could submit myself to anything and since I was grown up it wouldn't influence me. Read Matt 15:1-20 and focus in on these verses:

17"Don't you see that whatever enters the mouth goes into the stomach and then out of the body? 18But the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart, and these make a man 'unclean.' 19For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander. 20These are what make a man 'unclean'; but eating with unwashed hands does not make him 'unclean.' "

BibleGateway.com is © Copyright 1995-2008 Gospel Communications International NIV

We get so caught up sometimes in the traditions of our faith, that we ignore our faith.

So will anyone join me? I'm not asking for you all to commit to devotions in the morning or a specific amount of time. I just want to take time for God first and then make sure I'm watching my influences.

No comments: